Friday 23 October 2009

Friday 23rd October 2009

This morning was very different. Our big day was yesterday, and there are quite a few big stories around today, so we have only done the three TV lives, and we didn't actually do the last one as the kit wouldn't connect. So we now have time to relax a bit. I need to strategically pack all the gear and sort out the payment of the hotel (cash only in Africa). We have been invited to dinner tonight with ?? from the Mums for mums charity, just hope I can stay awake.

Whilst I'm here writing, a few things I've noticed on my travels not time specific.

Traffic Lights / Signs.
It wasn't until I saw a set in Mekelle that I realised I hadn't seen a traffic light all trip. Even in Addis the traffic is free to roam, cars fly around all over the place but everyone just uses common sense and it all works rather well. Although I'm informed there are quite a few bumps as the general driving style is quite free-for-all. It's also very refreshing to not see hundreds of sign posts on the streets.

Scaffolding,
The development everywhere in Ethiopia is massive in every town we went to, large or small there was a huge amount of building work and construction. The most fascinating part of this is that huge concrete buildings are being supported by wooden scaffolding.

It just doesn't look like it could support it, but as Mike pointed out to me, that's how they must have built structures like Salisbury Cathedral many years ago. I did ask Tsigue's husband about this a few nights ago, he said it is a becoming a problem as there is so much building work going on, the amount of logging being done to maintain enough scaffold poles is very high.

No comments: